HET MOOISTE UIT DE STAD VOOR IN HUIS

Stadhuis

Grote Markt 2, Haarlem

Available as A4 and A3 print and as a card.
TO THE SHOP

 

HISTORY

At the location of the town hall there used to be a hunting lodge of the counts of Holland. The complex, which served as a military and administrative center, was destroyed by a fire in the 14th century.

The town hall, a rectangular building with battlements and a tower, was erected in 1370 on the same site. In the centuries that followed it was rebuilt several times.

The town hall tower was built between 1465 and 1468, but was demolished in 1772. It was not until 1913 that the town hall tower was rebuilt.

Between 1622-1630 a whole new wing was built in the Dutch Renaissance style after a design by Lieven de Key. The façade was renewed in classicist style between 1630 and 1633.

To this day, the city administration works in the ancient city hall. In the halls of the refectory (on the courtyard), changing exhibitions can be viewed free of charge.

SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA AND CITYHALL HAARLEM