HET MOOISTE UIT DE STAD VOOR IN HUIS

    De Wilhelminakerk

    Gedempte Oude Gracht 61 , Haarlem
    HISTORY 

    The church building was designed by Arie de Maaker and built just after the First World War. The church was taken into use on 31 August 1921 (Queen’s Day).

    During the war years the church had no name because the name of the queen should not be used. They were then talking about the “tip-tip-church”.

    In the early 70s the church was in decline, so plans were made to rebuild the church and turn it into a supermarket. A lot of work was done on the modernization of the building, the church could stay.

    The tower has not had a clock for the first 60 years. The cock, on the tip of the tower, had died. At the 60th anniversary of the church money was collected with which two clocks were purchased. A new rooster was also placed.

    SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA AND CITYHALL HAARLEM

    • Datum 5 juni 2018
    • Tags

    De Wilhelminakerk

    Gedempte Oude Gracht 61 , Haarlem
    GESCHIEDENIS 

    Het kerkgebouw is ontworpen door Arie de Maaker en vlak na de Eerste Wereldoorlog gebouwd. De kerk werd op 31 augustus 1921 (Koninginnedag) in gebruik genomen.

    Tijdens de oorlogsjaren had de kerk geen naam omdat de naam van de koningin niet mocht worden gebruikt. Men had het toen over de „puntje-puntje-kerk”.

    Begin jaren ’70 was de kerk in verval, waardoor er plannen kwamen om de kerk te verbouwen en er een supermarkt van te maken. Er werd hard gewerkt aan de modernisering van het gebouw, de kerk kon blijven.

    De eerste 60 jaar heeft de toren geen klok gehad. De haan, op de punt van de toren was vergaan. Bij het 60-jarig bestaan van de kerk werd geld ingezameld waarmee twee klokken werden aangeschaft. Ook werd er een nieuwe haan geplaatst. 

    BRON: WIKIPEDIA EN GEMEENTE HAARLEM